Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sunday Supper

Ahhh today was a wonderful grocery shopping day! The store wasn't too crowded (well its always crowded so we go at 7 or 7:30am and seriously going just 30 minutes later at 8:00 is hell on earth). So the store wasn't too bad and the lines weren't either. I make a list the night before and I tally it up as I go along. I send to round up because I don't carry a calculator with me. I was so happy today for the second week in a row my trip was less than $40 dollars for three dinners, my lunches (which really is a carrot salad) and a frozen meal for the night I end up not wanting to cook.

Now to be honest I already had left over chicken so I didn't have to buy that but even if I did my bill would have been $40 dollars, so still not bad. By the end of the week we will add a few more dollars because we go through milk like water (my hubby and munchkin). But other than that we shouldn't need to get anything else throughout the week. So happy!!

Anyway on to the show :)

This Sunday we are having Southwestern Rotini. I got this recipe from the same cookbook as the previous Sunday Supper (I really do like the cookbook a lot)


Southwestern Rotini

Ingredients
(12) ounces dried rotini
(1) cup chopped onions (2 medium)
(2) cloves garlic minced
(1) tablespoon butter or margarine
(1) 14.5 ounce can tomatoes, undrained, cut up
(2) medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut up
(1) 4 ounce can diced green chiles, undrained
(1/2) teaspoon salt
(1/2) teaspoon black pepper
(1) cup frozen whole kernel corn
(1/2) cup whipping cream

Directions
1)In a large saucepan cook pasta according to package directions
2)For sauce, in a large skillet cook onions and garlic in hot butter over medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender.
3)Carefully add undrained tomatoes, zucchini, undrained chiles, salt, and pepper.
4)Bring to a boil; reduce heat
5)Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice
6)Stir in corn and cream, bring to a boil; reduce heat
7)Cook, uncovered for about 3 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
8) Drain pasta, toss with sauce.

I plan on serving this with Light Cool'n Easy Pie (mini version) and ciabatta bread.

Check out my Facebook Fanpage for my review last on tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Greenery' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP